The Trace is a new nonprofit digital magazine dedicated to daily, in-depth coverage of guns in America. Our founding staff of writers and editors have joined the team after tours at the New York Times, The New Yorker, The New Republic, The Atlantic, ESSENCE, New York magazine, Time, and The Huffington Post.
We’re now looking for a talented, dependable, detail-oriented editorial fellow with interest and experience in news writing, social media and audience building.
This is a paid position based in New York City. A full-time candidate is preferred; the ability to work at least 20 hours a week is a must. The fellowship runs from September 1 – December 31.
The fellow will be assigned to specific duties, a breakdown for which appear below.
To apply, please send a resume, your best relevant clip or writing sample, and one great story or project idea to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital News Fellow
- Writing daily news briefs
- Promoting The Trace’s editorial content and other relevant news on Facebook, Twitter, and other social platforms (prior experience managing social accounts for newsrooms is a plus)
- Developing beat-reporting skills, actively pitching relevant story ideas to editors
- Working with senior engagement editor to design and execute enterprising social projects
- Mining social platforms for scoops, sources, story ideas, and other reporting opportunities
- Writing smart, cleanly executed short-form posts optimized for social sharing
- Fact-checking and contributing reporting to features
- Updating and maintaining the editorial planning calendar
- Updating and maintaining databases of Trace media mentions
- Pitching in on other tasks and projects as needed
The Trace is committed to building a diverse newsroom. We encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities to apply.