The Power of Diverse Voices, taking place Nov. 7-10, 2019 at Poynter’s campus in St. Petersburg, Florida, is a transformative four-day seminar that helps journalists of color find their voice and build skills for writing opinion pieces and personal essays.
Opinion writing plays a vital role in explanatory, features and watchdog journalism, and is important in a thriving democracy. This seminar will foster the diversity of voices necessary in the profession and train the next generation of opinion writers from a wide spectrum of backgrounds.
You will learn both through instruction as well as through intensive coaching in small writing groups. You will focus on fact-based opinion writing — and using social media to spark a conversation — across digital and other platforms.
You’ll learn how to:
- Develop and hone your arguments, presenting these arguments effectively and persuasively
- Support your arguments using solid research and reporting
- Strengthen your reporting skills with an emphasis on fairness and accuracy
- Maximize your journalistic success on digital and social media platforms — using social media to build your brand, present your ideas and spark a conversation
- Generate strong ideas for your opinion pieces, broadening your access to diverse points of view
- Focus your ideas, developing a compelling pitch to editors
Who should apply
Enrollment is open to new- and mid-career journalists of color based in the United States looking to add effective opinion writing to their tool kit, as well as those building a career path toward opinion journalism. Minority journalism students, journalism educators, freelancers and opinion journalists who work online or in social media are also encouraged to apply.
The Power of Diverse Voices workshop grew out of the Minority Writers Seminar, a collaboration between the Association of Opinion Journalists and The Poynter Institute. The original seminar ran for nearly two decades at the John Seigenthaler Center on the campus of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.
The process to apply is straightforward and simple. No letter of recommendation is required, but you will need to provide a reference. Please be prepared to answer questions about your professional experience, areas of interests and basic demographic information.
This seminar is being offered at no charge to selected participants based in the United States. The program sponsors will cover tuition and hotel costs, and a small travel stipend will be available. Slots are limited.
We’d love to hear from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.