The Livingston Awards for Young Journalists honor outstanding achievement by professionals under the age of 35 in local, national and international reporting.
The largest all-media, general reporting prize in American journalism, the Livingston Awards judge print, broadcast and online journalism against one another, a practice of increasing interest as technology blurs the traditional distinctions between the branches of journalism.
Each year three prizes of $10,000 are presented by the judging panel at a New York luncheon. Leading media figures and the winners’ families and colleagues attend to honor the winners. By recognizing the best young talent early in their careers, the Livingston Awards seeks to support the work of young journalists, create modern role models for the next generation of news consumers and advance excellence in journalism.
A fourth prize, the Richard M. Clurman Award, honors superb on-the-job mentors who improve journalism by exemplifying excellence in nurturing, critiquing and inspiring young journalists.
Prizes of $10,000 will be presented in three categories: local, national and international reporting. There is no entry fee.
- To enter, you must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2017.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series or an original piece and its follow-up developments. All pieces of the series must be published by the same organization.
- Print, broadcast and online work is eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S. controlled print, broadcast or online media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media are not eligible.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during calendar year ending December 31, 2017.
- Winners will participate in an outreach event arranged by the Livingston Awards.
- The deadline for entering work published in 2017 is February 1, 2018.
- Finalists will be notified by April 1, 2018. Announcement of winners will take place on June 2018.