The Intercept (theintercept.com) is looking for a high-energy Video Producer to help expand the audience for our reporting.
The Intercept was founded in 2014 by Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill, and Laura Poitras to provide an outlet for fearless, adversarial journalism that holds powerful institutions accountable. The digital magazine, a publication of First Look Media, produces original investigative reporting, analysis, and multimedia content focusing on national security, politics, civil liberties, international affairs, technology, criminal justice, media, and more. The Intercept publishes its journalism on our website and on other platforms, including through social media and distribution partners.
The ideal candidate is an experienced journalist working in broadcast or online video who is passionate about the topics we cover and excited about experimenting with video on different platforms. We are looking for a producer who thrives in a rigorous start-up environment, who can develop a video strategy for a small team, and who can manage in-house and freelance teams to produce videos for both short turnarounds and long leads. The producer will report to the editor-in-chief.
- Work with Intercept reporters and editors to produce and edit short videos that complement and expand on their reporting, both embedded in articles and for social media.
- Draw on a network of freelance producers, shooters, animators, and editors who can support production and post-production when appropriate.
- Strategize with the social media team regarding new video formats and styles that will work on different platforms.
- Stay current with news video trends and platforms (Facebook Live, Snapchat, 360 video, VR, etc.).
Background + Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience on projects demonstrating journalistic rigor, compelling visual style, and proficiency in covering current affairs.
- Established track record producing current affairs and/or investigative films and videos, and experience in a management role.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Premiere and After Effects.
- Keen news judgment, inventive approach to visual storytelling, and strong ethical standards, as well as an awareness of how these standards are translated into and challenged by social media (i.e., discussions around proper attribution online, ethical interaction with eyewitness video, etc.).
- Ability to respond to rapidly shifting priorities and demands, based on organizational needs and the news cycle.
- Ability to work well both on teams and independently.
- Journalistic ambition and vision for creating original content reflecting The Intercept’s distinctive brand and mission.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing relevant experience and your vision for Interceptvideo. Please also include links to at least five documentaries or short videos that demonstrate investigative news experience and explain your role on each video.