The World is a one-hour, nationally distributed weekday radio public affairs program co-produced by GBH and PRX. The show offers a mix of news, features, interviews and music from around the globe, developed specifically for an American audience. The World’s companion website, TheWorld.org, offers a similar mix of news and features along with original analysis, photos, videos, podcasts and interactive graphics that expand on the radio content. The World and TheWorld.org use social media and other relevant tools to maximize audience engagement and enhance the user experience.
The Digital Reporter/Editor will be responsible for creating and editing content that appears on The World.org. Among the Digital Reporter/Editor’s responsibilities would be writing Top of The World, The World’s morning newsletter that provides a roundup of the day’s top international news stories and showcases The World’s best content.
In addition, the Digital Reporter/Editor will work closely with radio reporters and producers, as well as members of the digital team, to generate sharp story angles and optimize radio stories for digital platforms. The Digital Reporter/Editor will have the opportunity to write analysis pieces on a variety of international news topics to supplement ongoing radio coverage. They will also have the opportunity to contribute to the daily radio show. The Digital Reporter/Editor should be prepared to work with both the digital and radio teams to tell stories on both platforms.
The preferred candidate has a passion for international news and a demonstrated ability to write and edit stories with distinct angles. They should think beyond just words and find ways to translate stories via images, sound, social media and other formats. We’re looking for a talented, hardworking and versatile journalist.
This job is remote for the duration of the pandemic. It will eventually be based in our Boston newsroom.
- Writes fast and accurately on deadline.
- Communicate easily and clearly, and listens well.
- Synthesizes news from a variety of sources and writes morning newsletter with voice and authority.
- Monitors newsletter performance metrics in Campaign Monitor and is familiar with a variety of digital analytics tools, such as Chartbeat and Google Analytics.
- Understands audio journalism and can comfortably identify the best storytelling approaches to translate radio-first stories for digital audiences. Works with The World radio producers and reporters to identify and develop distinctive angles for digital versions of radio stories.
- Edits stories for content, organization and style before they’re published on TheWorld.org.
- Writes and edits social media posts that accompany edited stories.
- Writes headlines and participates in shareable headline clinics
- Stays on top of best practices in digital journalism and is comfortable informally teaching colleagues.
- Excellence in writing and experience improving others’ writing through editing.
- Working knowledge of AP style.
- Strong news judgment.
- Familiarity with multimedia reporting tools.
- Ability to collect data, establish facts and solve complex problems.
- Ability to set and meet aggressive goals and to recognize successes and challenges associated with those goals. Highly organized but flexible, with the ability to handle multiple projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to embrace strategic direction and goals and to consider company-wide impact when making decisions.
- In-depth experience creating or editing multimedia on a major content management system.
- Ability to travel as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree required. At least three years of increasing responsibilities and success in digital journalism. Experience in broadcast journalism or multi-platform journalism is a plus. Experience working collaboratively in a newsroom setting to develop story ideas and see them through.
This is a staff position
GBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, GBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.