Do you check your Twitter account immediately when you wake up? Can you tell what photo would go viral on Instagram or pull together a sweet Snapchat story? Do you spend more time on Facebook than you do with your friends? PRI.org and its growing group of social properties are looking for a social media editor to join our social media team. Working as part of a talented team of journalists behind PRI.org and PRI’s The World, you’ll have the chance to represent the audience as we make news decisions and reflect what’s happening on social in our broader news report. You’ll also have the chance to shape how our stories are told on social media — and help pioneer social media storytelling. You’ll also be able to play a role in our important Global Nation and Across Women’s Lives initiatives, as well as in our upcoming coverage of the 2016 elections.
PRI is a global non-profit media company focused on the intersection of journalism and engagement to affect positive change in people’s lives. We are creating a more informed, empathetic and connected global community by inspiring people to understand the world’s cultures, issues and events. Each day, we share powerful stories, encourage exploration and create connection by combining content and engagement opportunities to affect change. We are looking for diverse, passionate, and adventurous individuals that want to work in an innovative environment. If you are interested in making a difference in the world, please consider applying for this position!
Essential responsibilities include:
- Edit, optimize and schedule posts across PRI social channels. Ensure posts written by different contributors meet the quality and voice established for PRI.
- Write second and third posts for PRI stories, and produce first posts as needed.
- Champion social media to staff.
- Respond to inquiries and comments on social channels. Moderate comments to ensure discussions, particularly on Facebook, are informative and free of hate speech.
- Identify stories and publishers producing stories that we could share with our audiences to foster knowledge and engagement.
- Help use social media to identify possible sources for stories.
- Help increase the diversity of PRI audiences by sharing content with networks and communities that are under-represented in media.
- Create and host social storytelling opportunities — like Twitter chats or Facebook events — to promote engagement with PRI accounts.
- Monitor and help support PRI’s effort to meet goals around social audience growth, as well as referral traffic from social media.
- Find and report stories of interest to PRI’s digital audience.
- Be vigilant for and propose partnerships that could lead to extended distribution for PRI stories and that could provide stories to be published on PRI.org.
- Collaborate with newsroom colleagues to bring digital stories to radio and radio stories to digital.
- Be an active member off the PRI social media team.
- Help ensure PRI.org meets or exceeds story count goals.
- Treat colleagues and members of communities with professionalism and respect.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- At least three years of increasing responsibilities and success in using and managing social media to do journalism in a professional setting.
- Dedicated community management and community building experience.
- Excellent writer and communicator
- Demonstrated success building and maintaining effective relationships through a variety of communication strategies and with a variety of stakeholders.
- Self-motivated and self-directed; ability to set and meet aggressive goals and to recognize successes and challenges associated with those goals. Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to express independent judgment to identify opportunities and to determine project guidelines, purpose, follow-through and completion.
- Familiarity with social media management tools, with TweetDeck and SocialFlow experience a plus.
- Experience with a CMS and Drupal experience a plus.
This position could be at PRI’s headquarters in downtown Minneapolis or at our Boston newsroom. This position is a two-year position.
To apply, please e-mail resume, cover letter, work samples and links to relevant social media profiles to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRI embraces diversity and is an equal opportunity employer!