The Project Director will be responsible for overseeing the overall program implementation and management of an anticipated US Department of State funded “Support for Peaceful Elections in Kenya”, a media and advocacy program aiming to mitigate triggers for election violence and address underlying drivers of anticipated ethical or political violence in Kenya.
The Project Director will provide strategic guidance and leadership for the program; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and complements other media development initiatives. The Project Director will also be responsible for establishing strong partnerships and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives and stakeholders in Kenya.
Please note that this position is contingent upon funding. Kenyan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Provide general oversight of the program, including program management, strategic vision, budget management, fiscal integrity, quality and timing of deliverables, and coordination with partners.
- Design and lead technical activities, including media assessments, training and mentoring.
- Supervise a team of local staff that includes journalism trainers, program officers, M&E specialist and accountant.
- Supervise the implementation of sub grants and act as the technical point of contact for sub grantees.
- Manage Internews staff and consultants that provide technical assistance to local media and CSO partners.
- Channel timely communication to the funder.
- Communicate challenges facing the project, and articulate the project’s successes in meeting those challenges.
- Responsible for the quality, cost, and timeliness of performance of all work performed under the funding contract.
- Responsible for the Monitoring and Evaluation of the Project.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly programmatic reports.
- Strategize new directions for Internews to help independent youth led media.
- Fundraise for project continuation.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of local media in-country.
- Develop and maintain contact with local stakeholders.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- 7 years of professional experience as a media professional or media development expert; OR Relevant professional experience managing capacity building and youth projects in Kenya.
- Substantial experience working as a Project Manager.
- USAID or USG experience is preferred.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing, and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a national staff and an international team of consultants.
- Strong interpersonal skills, necessary to maintain good relations with relevant stakeholders.
- Strong writing skills.
- Fluency in English required, Kiswahili a plus.