Marketplace is looking for a China Correspondent to cover a three-year expatriate assignment for the world’s second-largest economy for the largest business show on TV or radio in the United States.
As the China Correspondent, you’d join a creative, ambitious team, working at Marketplace. We’re one of the most dynamic multimedia brands in the country, known for an irreverent approach to business and economic news on multiple platforms.
We’re looking for someone who can tell compelling stories of how China’s economy works and how it’s transforming, along with how China’s economy intersects with the rest of the global economy. You’d join a team that’s working to expand the economic intelligence of the country on-air and digitally, while maintaining Marketplace’s signature sound and insight.
Producing imaginative and original content on challenging deadlines is the foundation of this job. We’re looking for a candidate who has:
- Interest in an overseas three-year assignment to live and work in China, including the overall experience of working and living in a different cultural environment;
- Experience delivering ambitious coverage strands with high-production values;
- A proven track record of pitching and reporting news spots and features for radio and digital platforms;
- A knack for breaking down complex ideas and transactions in sophisticated and radio- and digital- friendly ways;
- Incredible organizational skills, someone who can easily pitch either a same-day story or find an angle for a major event happening later in the year;
- Interest in working in a collaborative, fast-paced, diverse and positive organization
- Establish priorities and goals for China coverage.
- Suggest and pursue deep beat coverage and breaking news.
- Ensure that all materials reflect Marketplace’s style, approach and journalistic standards.
- Work with senior editorial staff to generate ideas for the programs.
- Develop ideas and proposals and participate in story generation and special programming planning.
- Identify and cultivate outside talent for inclusion in Marketplace programs.
- Develop stories at the highest standard of quality reporting, as measured by clarity, balance, creativity, originality, analysis, thoroughness and effective production.
- Deliver a minimum of 25 feature reports per year on Marketplace platforms.
- Provide spot news coverage on economic/social issues, as required.
- Provide live reports and two-ways at an expert level, as required.
- Initiate, research, write and produce stories and segments for air.
- Deliver stories with fully developed on-air style and originality in writing.
- Deliver substantive reports quickly on various subjects.
- Work with editors, reporters and operations staff to coordinate show content.
- Assist with the budget planning process and manage the bureau’s budget.
- Oversee management of the bureau, such as renewing/terminating leases.
- Manage the image of Marketplace in China; represent Marketplace in public settings and at public events. Act as a liaison between Marketplace and outside individuals and institutions.
- Keep Marketplace staff updated on trends in China.
- Work with news editors to generate ideas for programs.
- Gather information and audio for reports.
- Hire, supervise, train, and manage direct staff (Bureau Assistant) through providing work direction, constructive performance coaching, mentorship, performance meetings, and on-going feedback. Foster a creative and productive work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Ten or more years reporting or other relevant work experience.
- Special expertise in China, Asia, business and/or the economy.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Flexibility to work and live in a manner customary to Chinese nationals.
- Ability to successfully adapt to changes in working conditions and lifestyles.
- Tolerance and openness to ideas, beliefs, and values of Chinese culture.
- Keen interest in learning about China’s culture, language, and lifestyle.
- Emotional stability and control when confronted with stressful situations.
- Ability to function independently and within a strong team environment.
- Ability to deliver stories of the highest standard as measured by clarity, balance, creativity, originality, cogent analysis, thoroughness, effective production, eloquence and compelling delivery.
- Skilled at developing own stories and judging which stories to pursue and how most effectively to complete assignments.
- Ability to mentor and guide the work of others.
- Extraordinary ability to synthesize.
- Ability to function as a leader in news judgment, and provide influence for agenda setting.
- Ability to deliver national-quality material to programs on deadline.
- Sound critical judgment skills and the ability to make decisions regarding credibility, personality and value of material to the program.
- Ability to adapt writing and reporting to reflect the organization’s sensibility and style.
- Ability to function independently on enterprise stories and/or within a strong team environment.
- Knowledge of digital audio editing equipment.
- Ability to critically read and listen.
- Understanding of, and adherence to, the core values of public radio.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in Mandarin, including: reading, writing, speaking, and listening.
- 10 plus years in national/foreign journalism.
- Supervisory/management experience.
Reporting to this Position: Bureau Assistant
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to relocate to China for a three-year assignment.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extensive periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.